5.12.2009

Behind Closed Doors

Over the past few months, I've been blessed to pick up a second full-time freelance client. It's a change from much of my freelance writing, but it is a welcome change, one that allows me to grow myself, my writing, and my research skills. How much growth has taken place? Consider this: The first piece I did for this client took a total of around eight hours to complete. When it's only 500 words and requires no interviews, eight hours is an insanely long time.

Thankfully, it paid off. The client really liked the first article, which resulted in consistent work for pretty good pay. Now all I have to do is keep up the quality and quantity and the relationship should remain solid. But there's something eating at me, slowly but steadily. I have no clue what these articles are actually for, whether a magazine, newsletter, newspaper, website or the client's personal satisfaction.

Yes, the client gave me some vague idea of where they're going, but he wasn't too keen on giving me information. Whatever he's storing these little nuggets for is a new project he's working on, and it seems he's afraid someone else will take his idea. Kind of strange to be working so far in the dark as I have, but when you're getting paid it's hard to complain.

Besides, when else will I have a chance to write a story about Robert Penn Warren?

2 comments:

Cara said...

What are you doing? I bet you thought no one read this. Ha ha...you're wrong. I'm watching you.

daniel said...

Cara,

While your comment is slightly creepy, you don't scare me. At all.

Even if you did, I know you have little power over me when you're thousands of miles away. Ha!

And in case you didn't notice, this is a top secret project. All I can say is that it involves the arts.

Rock on,

Daniel