1.16.2007

The First Record Choices at Chad's

Okie dokie, as you may know by now, I got a record player, and after many trials and tribulations, the thing is finally powered up and pumping out music...as of last night, it's as loud as any other music-playing device I have. And to celebrate, I listened to the Beatles white album as I sifted through my CDs, found 11 I didn't want, and tossed them in a plastic bag.

Today, I took said discs to Chad's, and to my delight, I got $52 of credit. $52! You can't get that kind of change at McKay's with 111 CDs! Needless to say, I was stoked, though I think I hid my excitement quite well. I then scavenged the store for what albums I needed, and found these:

The Mama's and the Papa's: If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
I used to have their greatest hits, and this is darned near close to it, without being labeled "Greatest Hits." This will be a great listen with the family, and all the harmony parts will keep the kids singing with glee.



Ray Charles: Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music
I admit, I've hopped on the Ray Charles train. Can't help it. Growing up, his rendition of "Georgia on My Mind" was basically my grandparents' national anthem, but I never jumped into his music much myself. This album will change that, and while it's not what most deem his best work, it's the best one I could find at Chad's.



Stray Cats: Rant 'N Rave
Picking this album was difficult. I mean, it was cut in the 80s, so how important can it be to have this on vinyl? Isn't a cassette or CD good enough? Yeah, probably, but it was factory wrapped and has some solid tracks, like "18 Miles to Memphis" and "Something's Wrong with My Radio," both of which are otherwise only available on their greatest hits disc.



Willie Nelson: Red Headed Stranger
After much research, it seems this is Willie's masterpiece, and Chad was kind enough to have a couple copies of it waiting for me. My loving wife loves country, and Willie's one of the reigning kings, so I got this mainly for her, though I'm pretty stoked about it.



The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time in Outer Space
Just like you, I learned about Dave's genius from his quartet's world-famous "Take Five." However, when I talked with him a couple weeks ago (Yes--you read right. I interviewed the legendary Dave Brubeck), he mentioned the other albums that came after Time Out (which had "Take Five" on it). Both of his quartet's next albums dealt with the theme of time and screwed with all the presuppositions that jazz deserved a 4/4 beat. I was intrigued, and now the album is mine.



Now I just have to finish my work and go home...so I can enjoy these new flavors. My listening palate is ready....

2 comments:

Joshua said...

Sounds like you scored quite well at the record store. Red Headed Stranger is one of my all time favorite albums.

You should do a blog post about meeting Brubeck...that definately aroused my curiousity.

Enjoy your new records.

Joshua
(Epinions - joshg2fl)

daniel said...

Joshua,

Yeah, I had quite a great night last night going through the records. It was also great because my wife picked up a bunch of records from her parents, so we raffled through those as well. Good times.

And I might just have to blog about Dave Brubeck. However, I'll have to wait until the article comes out...you never know what kind of secrets magazines want to keep, so for now the only knowledge I can pass on is that I talked with Dave for 45 minutes. It was an incredible 45 minutes, though...let me tell you.

Take care,

daniel